Friday, October 27, 6:30 pm - 7:30 pm
The City of Nelsonville announces that Trick-Or-Treat; Beggar’s Night will be held on Friday, October 27, 2023, from 6:30PM to 7:30PM. It is important to use caution and plan ahead. Decisions on whether to participate should be made by individuals, and parents/guardians.
To help ensure adults and children have a safe Halloween, the City of Nelsonville has compiled a list of Halloween safety tips. Before Halloween arrives, be sure to choose a costume that will not cause safety hazards.
- Carry hand sanitizer and use it often, especially after coming into contact with frequently touched surfaces and before eating candy.
- If taking your children trick-or-treating, limit the number of houses you visit and ask your children to stay as far from treat-givers as possible. For small children, consider holding the bag for them.
- Wipe off candy wrappers with sanitizing wipes when you arrive home. (NOTE: Never wipe unpackaged food with wipes.)
- Allow children to eat only factory-wrapped treats. Avoid homemade treats made by strangers.
- Stay home if you or your child feels sick, has symptoms of COVID-19 or is at high risk of complications.
- All costumes, wigs and accessories should be fire-resistant.
- Avoid masks, which can obstruct vision.
- If children are allowed out after dark, fasten reflective tape to their costumes and bags, or give them glow sticks.
- When buying Halloween makeup, make sure it is nontoxic and always test it in a small area first.
- Remove all makeup before children go to bed to prevent skin and eye irritation.
When They're on the Prowl.
- A responsible adult should accompany young children on the neighborhood rounds.
- If your older children are going alone, plan and review a route acceptable to you.
- Agree on a specific time children should return home.
- Teach your children never to enter a stranger's home or car.
- Instruct children to travel only in familiar, well-lit areas and stick with their friends.
- Tell your children not to eat any treats until they return home.
- Children and adults are reminded to put electronic devices down, keep heads up and walk, do not run, across the street.
- Drivers are urged to use extreme caution while driving in the Nelsonville area and watch for the children during this time period.