Nelsonville Trick or Treat
Friday, October 27, 6:30 pm - 7:30 pm
The City of Nelsonville announces that Trick-Or-Treat; Beggar’s Night will be held on Friday, October 27, 2023, from 6:30PM to 7:30PM. It is important to use caution and plan ahead. Decisions on whether to participate should be made by individuals, and parents/guardians.
To help ensure adults and children have a safe Halloween, the City of Nelsonville has compiled a list of Halloween safety tips. Before Halloween arrives, be sure to choose a costume that will not cause safety hazards.
- Carry hand sanitizer and use it often, especially after coming into contact with frequently touched surfaces and before eating candy.
- If taking your children trick-or-treating, limit the number of houses you visit and ask your children to stay as far from treat-givers as possible. For small children, consider holding the bag for them.
- Wipe off candy wrappers with sanitizing wipes when you arrive home. (NOTE: Never wipe unpackaged food with wipes.)
- Allow children to eat only factory-wrapped treats. Avoid homemade treats made by strangers.
- Stay home if you or your child feels sick, has symptoms of COVID-19 or is at high risk of complications.
- All costumes, wigs and accessories should be fire-resistant.
- Avoid masks, which can obstruct vision.
- If children are allowed out after dark, fasten reflective tape to their costumes and bags, or give them glow sticks.
- When buying Halloween makeup, make sure it is nontoxic and always test it in a small area first.
- Remove all makeup before children go to bed to prevent skin and eye irritation.
When They're on the Prowl.
- A responsible adult should accompany young children on the neighborhood rounds.
- If your older children are going alone, plan and review a route acceptable to you.
- Agree on a specific time children should return home.
- Teach your children never to enter a stranger's home or car.
- Instruct children to travel only in familiar, well-lit areas and stick with their friends.
- Tell your children not to eat any treats until they return home.
- Children and adults are reminded to put electronic devices down, keep heads up and walk, do not run, across the street.
- Drivers are urged to use extreme caution while driving in the Nelsonville area and watch for the children during this time period.
Nelsonville Public SQ CLOSED
Monday, September 11th, 8:00 am to Noon for 9-11 Memorial Service
The Nelsonville Fire Department will be closing the Nelsonville Public Square on Monday, September 11, 2023, from 8:00 AM until 12:00 PM for a 9-11 memorial service. The memorial service will start at 8:46 AM, the time American Airlines Flight 11, flew into the North Tower of the World Trade Center in New York City. Additional times will be commemorated at,
- 9:03 AM, When United Airlines Flight 175 flew into the South Tower of the World Trade Center in New York City.
- 9:37 AM, When American Airlines Flight 77 flew into the Pentagon in Arlington County, Virginia.
- 10:03 AM, When United Airlines Flight 93 crashed into a field in Stonycreek Township near Shanksville, Pennsylvania.
Local emergency responders, along with the citizens they protect, will take time out of their workday to commemorate the terrorist attacks in New York City, and Washington, D.C., and the bravery of the passengers that went down with the plane in Shanksville, PA on September 11, 2001. The commemoration ceremonies will honor the 2,507 civilians, 72 law enforcement officers, 343 firefighters, 10 emergency medical workers, and 55 military service personnel who lost their lives, or gave their lives saving others. Many first responders are still fighting for their lives, and others are losing their lives, because of their response to Ground Zero. Each year we lose a few more.
Everyone is encouraged to take a few minutes and acknowledge the loss to the country and the victim’s families…mark the day, and remember…, so that WE WILL NEVER FORGET.
Office Closed for Labor Day
Monday, September 4, 2023
The City of Nelsonville announces that all City offices will be closed on Monday, September 4, 2023, in observance of the Labor Day Holiday. City offices will re-open for business on Tuesday, September 5, 2023, for regular business hours.
Utilities Office Closing at 1 pm
Friday, September 1, 2023
The City of Nelsonville Utilities Office will close at 1:00PM today Friday, September 1, 2023, due to employee illnesses. The office will reopen on Tuesday, September 5, 2023, for regular business hours. We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause and thank you for your understanding.
Aquatic Center Hours Update
CLOSED August 16 - 19 for Parade of the Hills
The Nelsonville Aquatics Center would like to remind everyone that they will be closed during The Parade of the Hills Festival, August 16 - 19, 2023. Thank you for your understanding and enjoy the festival.
CLOSED Weekdays Beginning Thursday, August 24th
The City of Nelsonville announces that the city’s aquatic center will be closed on weekdays due to area schools resuming session beginning Thursday, August 24, 2023, and opening on weekends only starting Saturday, August 26, 2023, throughout the remainder of the season. The aquatic center’s last scheduled day to be open for the 2023 season is Monday, September 4, 2023.
For information about hours, services, admission, and season passes please call the Nelsonville Aquatics Center at (740) 753-7003 or Email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Aquatic Center Splash Bash
The Nelsonville Aquatics Center will be sponsoring a “Summer Splash Bash” on Sunday, July 23, 2023, from 1:00PM until 3:00PM.
DJ Rockin’ Reggie will be performing music for the event. The public is invited to come out and enjoy an afternoon of swimming, music, and family fun.
For information about hours, services, admission, and season passes please call the Nelsonville Aquatics Center at (740) 753-7003.
Open Position on City Council
The City of Nelsonville is seeking people interested in filling one (1) position for City Council member as soon as possible.
To be considered for the City Council, the applicants must be a qualified elector who has been continuously a resident and a qualified elector of the City of one (1) year next prior to their election, and who is not the occupant of an incompatible office, shall be eligible to serve as a member of City Council. Each member of Council shall continue to be a resident and qualified elector of the City throughout their term of office, failing which Council shall remove them from office.
Aquatic Center Swim Lessons
Weeks of July 24th & July 31st
The Nelsonville Aquatic Center will be offering swimming lessons the weeks of July 24 and July 31 for children ages 4 - 12 and will cost $45 per child.
Swimming lessons will be,
- Monday, July 24 through Thursday, July 27 - Mornings 10:45-11:45 am and Evenings 6:30-7:30 pm.
- Monday, July 31 through Thursday, August 3 - Mornings 10:45-11:45 am and Evenings 6:30-7:30 pm.
Spots will be offered on a first come first serve basis.
Contact the Aquatic Center at email@example.com or call 740-753-7003 to register.
Thunder in the Valley Parking Information
The annual "Thunder In The Valley" fireworks spectacular is scheduled for Tuesday, July 4, 2023 on the Hocking College Campus. Parking is available at Hocking College, and plenty of seating is available on the fields and lots. No Parking will be permitted on Hocking Parkway or State Route 691. Hocking College has released a map for parking which is downloadable at https://tinyurl.com/22z8zm64. Alcoholic beverages are not permitted on the Hocking College Campus. The show can be viewed from most areas of Nelsonville as it lights up the hills of Southeast Ohio.
The Nelsonville Division of Fire is selling VIP tickets for the 2023 "Thunder In The Valley" fireworks spectacular. VIP vehicle parking passes can be purchased for $10.00. If you prefer to walk to the fireworks, you can purchase a VIP walk-in pass for $3.00 per person. Do not wait until the last minute to purchase a VIP parking pass, there are only a limited number of passes available. VIP tickets can be purchased at the Nelsonville Fire Department. The VIP area will open at 5:00PM on July 4th.
More information will be released as the event draws nearer. If you have any questions about VIP tickets, contact the Nelsonville Fire Department at firstname.lastname@example.org or (740) 753-1244.
City Office Closed Tuesday, July 4th
The City of Nelsonville announces that all City offices will be closed on Tuesday, July 4, 2023, in observance of the Independence Day Holiday. City offices will re-open for business on Wednesday, July 5, 2023, for regular business hours.