Municipal Zoning Board Open Positions
The Municipal Zoning Board of the City of Nelsonville has 4 open positions available.
- The Commission is composed of Five (5) persons who are appointed by council.
- The Board obtains its jurisdiction, power and limit of authority from the Council of the City of Nelsonville, Athens County, Ohio under Nelsonville City Charter §7.02, Ordinance 44-98 (“the Zoning Code”) of the City of Nelsonville, Athens County, Ohio and any amendments thereto which became originally effective December 28, 1998; Ordinance 59-06 (“the Sign Regulations”) of the City of Nelsonville, Athens County, Ohio and any amendments thereto which became originally effective on February 8, 2007; and Ordinance 21-85 (“the Flood Damage Reduction Code”) of the City of Nelsonville, Athens County, Ohio, and any amendments thereto which became originally effective on January 6, 1986 and substantially amended on December 18, 2009.
Natural Gas Leak Evacuation Order Canceled
Residents within a 1/2 block radius of the intersection of Walnut Street and Harper Street may now return to their homes.
The Nelsonville Division of Fire has contained the natural gas leak at the intersection of Walnut Street and Harper Street. Person who were evacuated may return to their homes. Crews are working in the area so please avoid this area. Thank you for your assistance and cooperation during this incident.
Face Covering Required to Enter Aquatic Center
Due to Ohio Public Health Advisory System Risk Level 3 “RED”
Athens County has issued an Ohio Public Health Advisory System Risk Level 3 “RED” – Very high exposure and spread is occurring in Athens County. Due to this advisory level the Nelsonville Aquatics Center wants to remind customers of their COVID-19 rules which now includes that face coverings are REQUIRED to enter the facility and must be worn while not swimming starting July 18, 2020.
- If you feel sick or have COVID-19 or COVID-19 symptoms DO NOT come to the aquatics center.
- If you become sick or begin to have COVID-19 symptoms while at the aquatics center, please go home and seek medical treatment.
- Practice social distancing guidelines with persons outside your immediate family and social group.
- Face coverings are REQUIRED to enter aquatics center and must be worn while not swimming.
- Please follow social distancing floor markings while in line at the concession stand and restrooms.
- No children under 12 will be admitted without adult supervision.
- All lockers are off limits.
- No life jackets can be borrowed.
- We are limiting the sharing of all communal property.
- Bring your own chairs.
- No diving boards will be available.
We apologize for any inconvenience these restrictions may cause but they are necessary for the safety for everyone. Thank you for your patience and cooperation.
Oak Street and Clinton Street
Tuesday, July 21 from 7:00 am to 4:00 pm
The City of Nelsonville announces that the intersection of Oak Street and Clinton Street will be closed, Tuesday, July 21, 2020 from 7:00AM until 4:00PM. The roadway is being closed for an R&R Pipeline gas line repair project, weather permitting. Please use an alternate route.
Utility and Police & Fire Committee Meetings
Thursday, July 16 at 7:00 pm
The Nelsonville City Council Utility Committee will meet Thursday, July 16, 2020 at 7PM. The purpose of the meeting is to discuss the trash contract, consider aggregation, and water and sewer projects.
Thursday, July 16 at 8:00 pm
The Nelsonville City Council Police and Fire Committee will meet Thursday, July 16, 2020 at 8PM. The purpose of the meeting is to discuss departmental needs.
If a structure is vacant and unfit for human habitation, occupancy or use and is not in danger of structural collapse, the City Manager may post a placard of condemnation on the premises and may order the structure closed up so it will not be an attractive nuisance. Upon failure of the owner to close up the premises within the time specified in the order, the City Manager shall cause it to be closed through any available public agency or by contract, or arrangement by private persons, and the cost thereof shall be charged against the real estate upon which the structure is located and shall be a lien against such real estate.
No structure which has been condemned and placarded as unfit for human habitation or use shall again be used until written approval has been secured from the City Manager.
Any person receiving written notice from the City Manager or his agent of alleged deficiencies on their property may, within thirty (30) days following the date of such notice, submit a written appeal to the City Council. Such appeal shall state the location of the property and the date of the notice of violations.
The appellant must state the reasons, hardship or conditions upon which the appeal is made. The City Council shall meet to discuss the matter within thirty (30) days after the receipt of the written appeal. Council decisions on the matter shall be by motion and vote and shall be delivered in writing to the appellant and the City Manager.
City Council VIRTUAL Meeting
Monday, July 13 at 7:00 pm
Nelsonville City Council will meet in regular session Monday, July 13, 2020 at 7pm.